Tuesday, November 5, 2013

River Trip to The Grand Palace - Bangkok - Thailand



It was in January of this year that I last wrote a post Buddha Shops - Bangkok  about the trip David and I took to Thailand in 2011, but since then life went awry and of course I have not felt like posting about our travels together. I do know though from talking together during his convalescence in the Spring that he was very keen for me to get Travel Tales up to date as an on-line scrapbook of our adventures.  I now feel like doing this so here at last is the next instalment from Bangkok.

We were in Bangkok during October 2011 and were unfortunate enough to see and experience the flooding in the city at first hand. On the day we went to visit the Royal Palaces we took the Chao Phraya Express Boat which is used by commuters and tourists to avoid the inevitable traffic jams in the city. When we got off the ferry it was a shock to have to wade through the rising water and disturbing to see how the riverside dwellers were having to cope! So sad but in typical Thai fashion they all seemed to remain so cheerful.






What a stark contrast it was to walk across the road to the grounds of The Grand Palace which is an incredible complex of buildings.The palace has been the official residence of the Kings of Siam since 1782. I will let the photos tell the story of our visit. If you want to know about the history and details of the individual buildings I have included some links at the end of the post, also more of my photos can be viewed on My Flickr account.  As you can imagine I took far too many to share them all here. If you do get to visit this amazing place do remember that the dress code is very strict you must cover your arms and legs out of respect.



The architecture is stunningly beautiful and so intricate as hopefully you will see from these photos.


















Leaving the palace behind we walked through a local market to see The Reclining Buddha that is in the same vicinity, but that visit can be the subject of my next post.


Address: Na Phra Lan Rd, Phra Nakhon, Bangkok, 10200, Thailand
Hours: Tuesday 8:30 am – 3:30 pm  -  See all
Phone: +66 2 623 5500




The following website links may also be of interest.




All photos are my own taken in October 2011. 
 Copyright All rights reserved by LindyLouMac Photo Collection 
More photos from this trip may also be viewed individually in the collection entitled  






17 comments:

  1. I typed a long comment and published and it disappeared so i tried test to see if it worked. silly blogger.
    i can't remember what I said......but I am glad to see you can post these wonderful memories now. and I love visiting these places i will never see in real life. amazing photos of a beautiful country...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos, just wonderful, great Palace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How marvelous Lindy Lou… I'm so glad you were able to share this adventure together. Such good memories. I completely understand that this is not a good time for you to participate in the quilt. Sending every blessing,
    laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. The craftsmanship in the details of this architecture is amazing. I can only imagine how much more beautiful it is in person. I just loved the name Siam. It has a pretty sound to it. When my brother became godfather to my son in 1982, I gave him an antique ring that was crafted in Siam. The top of the ring flipped over so you could wear the woman carving or the man carving. It's a stunning ring. I really enjoyed these pictures. So awful those poor people had to endure the flooding. I guess they're used to it but it's still sad. So glad you're continuing on with your scrapbook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your shots Lindy, and I am so glad to see that you are able now to do some reflecting on some of these wonderful times, and come to appreciate them even more as you seek their meaning and are able to revisit these places in your mind. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photo of Thailand, is raining season end of the year, we do have flash flood here too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that you feel up to posting these photos for us to share. The flood looks horrendous and the palace quite beautiful. The only part of Thailand we have been to is Phuket which we loved. Keep well. Have a good day, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad to read that you feel like continuing your blog Linda and sharing your stories and images with us. I am very happy to "meet" up with you again. Have a wonderful weekend, happy travels, and thank you for stopping by to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We went on our honeymoon to Thailand a beautiful country with such gentle people. Your pictures capture the atmosphere and culture so well brought back such great memories

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post can't have been easy to write but it so beautiful and the photographs stunning.
    Thank you for sharing your special memories ;D
    I would like to thank you also for visiting my space earlier.
    Have a wonderful weekend and keep smiling :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, What the gorgeous palace! Great architecture and amazing beauty looking in your Magnificent photos. definitely, remarkable tour and a unique site to visit. thanks for sharing your memory with us..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful shots of magnificent palace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The colors and detail in each building is just amazing. What an adventure. It's so nice to travel and be able to take lots of photos, too. Very nice post! Enjoy your week my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thailand is an amazing place and thanks for share. its good to know about the place although we have been there many times. This time we are visiting Thailand in Feb 2014 as group of motorcycle riders. The plan is to ride from Bangkok to Phuket and back, about 2000kms in 6days. Hope to see the colorful motorcycles & scooters, delicious food, amazing beaches, smooth roads to ride http://quarterlitreride.blogspot.com/2013/11/motorcyle-ride-in-thailand-2000-kms-in.html
    Any thing that i should keep in mind?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Travel Tales and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate your support, which is a great encouragement to me and reading them is always a pleasure. All commenter's will receive a visit back from me and followers a follow back. I will respond to questions here but not reply to every individual comment due to time constraints, a problem we all have.